Welcome to all of this week’s new subscribers to The Link Tank®️ newsletter; my newsletter always focuses on the practical: Real implementable strategies to increase your LinkedIn ROI, sometimes focusing on the what but always focusing on the how!
In today’s increasingly globalised world, being bilingual or multilingual is a significant asset in the professional sphere and similarly, our client bases are increasingly traversing borders.
As the world’s largest professional networking platform, LinkedIn has recognised this and has implemented the option to create a second language profile to help members showcase their language skills and reach a broader audience. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of having a second language profile on LinkedIn, the steps to create one, and how to optimise your multilingual profiles for maximum impact.
Benefits of a Second Language Profile on LinkedIn
- Expanded professional network: Creating a second language profile on LinkedIn allows you to connect with professionals who speak your target language, providing you with more networking opportunities and potential career growth.
- Increased visibility: A second language profile increases your visibility to recruiters and hiring managers who are looking for candidates with specific language skills. It also helps your profile stand out among competitors in your industry.
- Showcasing your language proficiency: By maintaining a second language profile, you can demonstrate your language fluency and cultural awareness to potential employers and clients.
- Improved cultural understanding: Connecting with professionals from diverse backgrounds enhances your cultural understanding, which can lead to more effective communication and collaboration in international business settings.
- Personal branding: A multilingual profile helps you establish a unique personal brand, reflecting your global mindset and adaptability.
LinkedIn Help pages provide clear guidelines for creating a profile in a second language. Here’s a summary of the essential points:
- Access language settings: To create a second language profile, click on the “Me” icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage, then select “View profile.” On your profile page, click “Add profile in another language” on the right side of your profile.
- Choose your language: From the dropdown menu, select the language you want to create your profile in. LinkedIn currently supports multiple languages, enabling users to showcase their linguistic skills effectively.
- Customise your profile: After selecting your target language, you will need to fill out the appropriate sections in that language. This includes your name, headline, summary, experience, and other relevant information. You can choose to translate your existing content or create entirely new content in the target language.
- Save and publish: Once you’ve completed your second language profile, save and publish it. Your new profile will now be accessible to LinkedIn users who have their language settings set to that particular language.
Visibility and translation: When someone views your profile in their native language, they will see your second language profile if it matches their language settings. If not, they will see your primary language profile with the option to view your profile in other available languages. LinkedIn does not automatically translate your profile content; you must provide the translations yourself to ensure accuracy and maintain your personal brand.
- Managing multiple language profiles: You can easily switch between your primary and secondary language profiles by clicking on the language dropdown menu on your profile page. This allows you to edit and update each profile individually, ensuring that all your profiles are current and relevant.
- Adjusting language-based settings: If you want to change your primary language or delete a secondary language profile, navigate to the “Languages” section in your LinkedIn settings. You can set a new primary language or remove a secondary language profile from there.
In summary, creating a second language profile on LinkedIn is a straightforward process that allows you to showcase your language skills, connect with professionals who speak your target language, and increase your visibility on the platform. Just remember to provide your translations, keep your profiles updated, and manage your language settings accordingly.
I hope that you found these LinkedIn tips and strategies useful. If so, do click on the 🔔 on my profile to be notified of my new posts and follow #Trevisan to see LinkedIn strategy tips in your feed.
⏩ If you are looking for a bespoke “done-for-you” LinkedIn marketing strategy, schedule an initial phone consultation here
⏩ For LinkedIn training options, please learn more here